Vetoed Constitutional Amendment (V) April 2021 (Candidacy Fairness Act)

How do you vote on this Bill?

• Total voters

1950Minecrafter

Citizen
Representative
Justice Department
Supporter
Oakridge Resident
1950minecrafter
1950minecrafter
representative
A
BILL
TO

Amend the Constitution​

The people of Democracy Craft, through their elected Representatives in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

1 - Short Title and Enactment
(1) This Act may be cited as the "Constitutional Amendment (V) April 2021" or "Candidacy Fairness Act"
(2) This act shall go to Referendum before taking effect
(3) This bill has been co-authored with Dr.Thunder7

2- Reasons
  1. Under the current electoral system, political parties can propose more candidates than seats, making that the party has more opportunities to get more votes than the smaller parties or even independents.

3 - Amendment
  1. Section I - The Congress, Point 7 Elections, should be amended as follows from a) to b):
    1. ...Candidates are to make their official political party affiliations known or if none, opt to run as an independent.
    2. ...Candidates are to make their official political party affiliations known or if none, opt to run as an independent. Political parties cannot propose a higher number of candidates than seats are up to vote.
  2. The following section of the constitution titled: "Procedures for the Removal and Replacement of Congress Members" will have its last sentence changed from:
    1. "A special election shall consist of a 48 hour nomination period and 24 hour voting period."
      to
    2. "A special election shall consist of a 72 hour nomination period and 24 hour voting period."

1613566761924.png

1950minecrafter
Deputy Speaker
Representative

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye - This is a good way to stop parties running 10 people for 1 seat. If others decide to run, they can run as independents and have a greater chance at winning. This way parties don't dominate.

Aye - This is a good way to stop parties running 10 people for 1 seat. If others decide to run, they can run as independents and have a greater chance at winning. This way parties don't dominate.
I really agree with this, parties are able to hold primaries if they need to chose the best candidates. I do think that running a lot of candidates to gain more votes in an election based on a proportional representation system is quite unfair for the independents and is electorally a flaw.

This bill has been vetoed and has failed to become law for the following reasons:

Rider clause. This was a perfectly good idea, why did you have to duct tape extending the nomination period on there? Election cycles are already so long I would have signed this if it made no changes to the length of special elections. Please propose again without the rider clause in time for the next election. No pressure but this will have to go to referendum afterwards due to the restriction upon the right to run for office.​

Back